GRAND HAVEN TOWNSHIP, Mich.— The 417-acre Hofma Park and Preserve will soon grow by another 40 acres.
On March 17, Governor Snyder signed legislation approving a $276,500 grant to Grand Haven Township. The money will go toward purchasing 40 acres of land currently owned by the Catholic Diocese of Grand Rapids. The land is adjacent to the park and includes forested wetland and fields with Christmas trees. Township Superintendent Bill Cargo has said the land will be kept in its natural state.
The land deal will guarantee continued public access to the park and protect Alder Creek, Pottawattomie Bayou and the lower Grand River watershed.
Cargo has said the land acquisition is expected to cost approximately $368,000. Approximately 75 percent of that cost will be covered by the grant; the other 25 percent will come out of the township’s general fund.