LaughFest kicks off with record attempt | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM)- LaughFest 2012 is underway. The one of a kind event brings some of the world's top comedians to Grand Rapids.
LaughFest organizers say it is seriously funny. LaughFest is a fundraiser for Gilda's Club which supports families dealing with cancer.
To kick off this year's event people gathered in downtown Grand Rapids tonight to break a record for the largest gathering of people wearing chicken beaks. Organizers say 607 people wore the beaks to set the record. Their attempt will be certified before becoming official. After they danced the chicken dance.
Fittingly, a number of downtown restaurants are serving chicken dinners tonight.
Over the next 10 days there will be 200 performances -- many of them with free admission. Well known comedians including Whoopi Goldberg, Jim Gaffigan and Martin Short are scheduled to appear. Local comedians will also have the chance to perform.
Last year more than 55,000 people showed up for events allowing LaughFest to raise $330,000 for cancer and grief programs.
LaughFest continues through March 18th.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State