GR Fire Dept. is state's highest rated | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Grand Rapids' Fire Department is the highest rated in the state in terms of its readiness to respond to structure fires. That's according to its new Insurance Services Office ranking following a two-week evaluation last year.
The ISO looks at a community's fire dispatch, water supply and fire department operations. Previously, GRFD had a three ranking, now it has a one.
Fire Chief Laura Knapp says the accomplishment catapults the department into the top 1% of all fire departments in the country, and makes the department the state's highest rated.
Knapp says it's unclear what, if any impact the improved rating would have on homeowner insurance policies.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Our Kitchen Table improves lives through the power of plants