Mel Trotter opens day center, expanded pantry | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Mel Trotter Ministries is celebrating the grand opening of its new day center and food pantry.
The center is located in a former tire warehouse on Williams Street SW, just behind Mel Trotter's downtown Grand Rapids headquarters.
The day center will provide shelter for 100 homeless men, women, and children.
The food pantry has also been expanded, adding refrigerated room for repackaging meats, dairy and produce into small portions for individual households.
"Once breakfast was over, they had no place to go in the community, except the parks or the businesses, or the library," says Dennis VanKampen. "This was a concept that was dreamed to further our ministry, with the homeless and give them a place to go but also to network with other resources in the community, so the can get jobs, find homes and not be homeless anymore.
The Mel Trotter food pantry helps more than 160 households each week.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Providing healthy food is biggest challenge for local food pantries
- My Town: Breton Village mall announces expansion and new retailers
- My Town GR South: Meet In The Image's new Executive Director
- Orangeville Fire Department sponsoring Tigers Ball Game Trip
- Give Cats a Hand/Texas Hold ‘Em Event April 14-17