Sophia's House to welcome patients' families | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- When it comes to major surgeries like a kidney transplant, patients need their families to help with healing. Now loved ones traveling long distances will have an inexpensive place to stay in Grand Rapids.
Sophia's House at Saint Mary's Health Care officially opens next Monday, but we got a sneak peek of the facility Tuesday.
The three-story home features 15 guest rooms, an exercise room, kitchen, laundry rooms and a family area.
"Sophia's house will just provide a calming, relaxing place where families can stay where they're just minutes away from their loved one in the hospital," says Simie Bredeweg, the organ transplant program's clinical services manager at Saint Mary's Health Care.
"It just helps with the healing of the patients in the hospital -- knowing that your loved ones are right across the street -- really helps with better sleep, less stress, knowing they're there to provide any nurturing that's needed."
The community is invited to celebrate the opening of Sophia's House with a block party, starting at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Our Kitchen Table improves lives through the power of plants