Ice chippers release freon in Aquinas building | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- As chemical spills go, the one at Aquinas College Wednesday afternoon was minor, left no one injured, and was caused by chipping at an ice block.
It happened around 4:30 p.m. at Aquinas' Performing Arts Center.
A group of students was carving an ice block on top of a freezer when one of the students hit a refrigeration coil and released freon.
Grand Rapids firefighters say four students were exposed to the freon and reported respiratory trouble. They were treated at the scene.
Workers ventilated the building and removed the freezer.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Our Kitchen Table improves lives through the power of plants