'Gran Fondo' coming to Grand Rapids | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Organizers expect a new cycling event will draw hundreds of participants to Grand Rapids next year.
On Tuesday, the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine announced the "Gran Fondo", which will be held downtown on June 29.
Gran Fondo means "big ride" in Italian. They are long distance cycling events, not races.
"It's not just for the elite; it's not just for those who work out five to seven days a week. This is for everybody to be part of something that builds that community spirit and that community giving which is so remarkable in West Michigan," explained Marsha Rappley, dean of the College of Human Medicine.
Money raised during next year's Gran Fondo will be used to support local research to fight skin cancer.
Upcoming Events near Grand Rapids Central
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State