Our network

Public Spaces

How Often would you ever see a Sign like this

How Often would you ever see a Sign like this

I received this picture on my grandson Andrew’s Facebook page today.

How often has anyone ever seen anything like this? I just traveled that bridge last week with my son while visiting in Maryland.  I think it’s a Hoot.

My Town Grand Haven: Township gets $276k to expand Hofma Park

My Town Grand Haven: Township gets $276k to expand Hofma Park

GRAND HAVEN TOWNSHIP, Mich.— The 417-acre Hofma Park and Preserve will soon grow by another 40 acres.

On March 17, Governor Snyder signed legislation approving a $276,500 grant  to Grand Haven Township.  The money will go toward purchasing 40 acres of land currently owned by the Catholic Diocese of Grand Rapids.  The land is adjacent to the park and includes forested wetland and fields with Christmas trees. Township Superintendent Bill Cargo has said the land will be kept in its natural state.

The land deal will guarantee continued public access to the park and protect Alder Creek, Pottawattomie Bayou and the lower Grand River watershed.

Cargo has said the land acquisition is expected to cost approximately $368,000.  Approximately 75 percent of that cost will be covered by the grant; the other 25 percent will come out of the township’s general fund.

My Town: New Director of Parks and Recreation announced

My Town: New Director of Parks and Recreation announced

----NEWS RELEASE----

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (City of Grand Rapids)-- David Marquardt has joined the City of Grand Rapids as its new Parks and Recreation Director. “I am pleased David has chosen to be part of our team. His experience in leading the Planning, Design and Construction division of the Denver Parks Department positions him well to jump in and lead implementation of parks millage investments,” said City Manager Gregory Sundstrom.

In the final stages of the interview process, Marquardt visited Grand Rapids and had an opportunity to meet community members, park advocates, and City officials. Reflecting on that process, Marquardt stated, “I was impressed by the community’s demonstrated commitment to parks and recreation services. There is energy here that is intriguing and exciting.”

My Town: Judge Redford leaving 17th Circuit Court

My Town: Judge Redford leaving 17th Circuit Court

EAST GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.—The search is on for a new judge to preside over Michigan’s 17th Circuit Court in Kent County.

Chief Judge Robert Redford is leaving his post to become the chief legal counsel for the governor’s executive office.  Governor Snyder chose Redford to replace Judge Mike Gadola, who was recently appointed to the Michigan Court of Appeals. 

Snyder also named Rep. John Walsh his director of strategy.

“It’s essential to have such talented individuals who have a passion for helping the people of our state and the vision and expertise to craft policy and build relationships that will help us accelerate our state’s dramatic comeback and work to keep moving Michigan forward,” Snyder said. “I know I’ve found the right people in Rep. Walsh and Judge Redford.”

My Town: Thirteen local lawmakers post perfect voting record for 2014

My Town: Thirteen local lawmakers post perfect voting record for 2014

LANSING, Mich.—State Sen. Mark Jansen tops the list of West Michigan lawmakers who missed the most votes this year, according to the Missed Votes Report compiled by Jack McHugh, editor of MichiganVotes.org.

Jansen missed 46 votes between January and December of this year. The District 28 Republican represents a large portion of Kent County, including Ada, Algoma, Alpine, Cannon, Courtland, Grand Rapids and Plainfield townships, as well as East Grand Rapids, Rockford, Walker and Wyoming.

State Rep. Jon Bumstead, who represents Newaygo, Lake and Oceana counties, had the most missed votes among West Michigan lawmakers in the House, with 21 this year.  

Three senators and three representatives missed 50 or more votes this year.  The top offenders were Rep. John Olumba of Detroit, with 233 missed votes, and Sen. Bert Johnson of Detroit, with 187 missed votes.

My Town: Dozens of new troopers now on the job

My Town: Dozens of new troopers now on the job

LANSING, Mich.—Dozens of new State Police troopers are now on the job throughout Michigan.

Governor Snyder served as the keynote speaker during the 127th Trooper Recruit School’s recent graduation ceremony.  During the event, Tpr. David Williams was recognized with the Academic Achievement Award.

Lowell: Girls Night Out 'Zombie Chicks'

Lowell: Girls Night Out 'Zombie Chicks'

 

Thursday, October 16th - 5 pm to 10 pm